Dr. Birger Neuhaus
- Curator of the collection "Vermes" (= "worm-like animals")
- Responsible for the light microscopical equipment of the zoological collections and central laboratory
The collection "Vermes" contains a mixture of invertebrate, worm-like animals which are generally not phylogenetically related to each other: Plathelminthes = flatworms, Gnathostomulida = "jaw mouth worms", Nemertini = ribbon worms, Rotatoria = wheel animals, Acanthocephala = "prickly head animals", Gastrotricha = "bottle animals" or "belly-haired animals", Nematoda = threadworms or roundworms, Nematomorpha = horsehair worms, Kinorhyncha = "muddragons", Priapulida = "love worms", Loricifera = corset animals, Sipuncula = peanut worms, Echiura = spoonworms, Pogonophora = beard worms, Annelida = segmented worms, Chaetognatha = arrow worms. About 100,000 specimens are catalogued under some 30,000 lot numbers. The collection contains type material of more than 2,140 species which can be searched in the Datenbank SeSam.
- Phylogenetic relationships within the group Nemathelminthes (= Aschelminthes) and relationships of Nemathelminthes to other invertebrates
- Taxonomy, zoogeography and evolution of the Kinorhyncha (= "muddragons")
- Biological studies about selected animal key groups during the deep-sea expedition SO 208 with R/V "Sonne" to the equatorial East Pacific
- Establishment and public communication of a science-based collection management of zoological wet collections in the frame of the "KUR – Programme of conservation and restauration of mobile cultural heritage"
Ivanova, E. S. & B. Neuhaus (2009): Malvinia crassum gen. et sp. n. (Nematoda, Drilonematoidea) - a parasite of the acanthodrilid earthworm Notiodrilus bovei from the Falkland Islands. Nematology 11: 39-45
Heiner, I. & B. Neuhaus (2007): Loricifera from the deep sea at the Galápagos spreading center, with a description of Spinoloricus turbatio gen. et sp. nov. (Nanaloricidae). - Helgol. Mar. Res. 61: 167-182.
Neuhaus, B. & R. M. Kristensen (2007): Ultrastructure of the protonephridia of larval Rugiloricus cf. cauliculus, male Armorloricus elegans and female Nanaloricus mysticus (Loricifera). J. Morphol. 268: 357-370.
Liesenjohann, T., B. Neuhaus & A. Schmidt-Rhaesa (2006): Head sensory organs of Dactylopodola baltica (Macrodasyida, Gastrotricha): A combination of transmission electron microscopical and immunocytochemical techniques. - J. Morphol. 267: 897-908.
Neuhaus, B. & T. Blasche (2006): Fissuroderes, a new genus of Kinorhyncha (Cyclorhagida) from the deep sea and continental shelf of New Zealand and from the continental shelf of Costa Rica. - Zool. Anz. 245: 19-52.