Dr. David Lazarus
- Research in micropaleontology
- Paleobiologic informatics (NSB Neptune database)
- Curator for micropaleontology
- Head, Micropaleontologic Reference Centers (MRC) Network
- Manager, main paleontologic preparation lab
- Ehrenberg Collection
- MRC Radiolarian Collection, MRC central database
- other micropaleontology collections (particularly radiolaria, ostracodes, foraminifera)
- Virtually all areas of micropaleontologic research (taxonomy, biostratigraphy, paleoceanography, paleobiology)
- Taxonomic expertise is in Cenozoic radiolarians
- Methodologies tend to be very quantitative, data-oriented and computer-based: morphometrics, databases (particularly the marine microfossil Neptune db system), digital imaging, multivariate statistics; often with software development.
- Taxonomic, stratigraphic and evolutionary synthesis of Antarctic Neogene radiolaria (AANR) [DFG]
- Global taxonomic check lists of late Cretaceous-Recent radiolaria for the Integrated Ocean Drilling Program (IODP) and Encyclopedia of Life (EOL) [IODP]
- Neptune Sandbox (NSB) [CEES Oslo]
Further information on science infrastructure projects.
Lazarus, D., B. Kotrc, G. Wulf, and D. N. Schmidt. 2009. Radiolarians decreased silicification as an evolutionary response to reduced Cenozoic ocean silica availability. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA 106 (23): 9333-38.
Lazarus, D., and N. Suzuki. 2009. Introduction to the reexamination of the Haeckel and Ehrenberg Radiolarian Collections. In Reexamination of the Haeckel and Ehrenberg Microfossil Collections as a Historical and Scientific Legacy. Monograph No. 40, edited by Y. Tanimura and Y. Aita. Tokyo: Japan National Museum of Nature and Science: pp. 1-106, App. 1-5; Plates 1-244.
Lazarus, D., B. Bittniok, L. Diester-Haass, P. Meyers, and K. Billups. 2006. Comparison of radiolarian and sedimentologic paleoproductivity proxies in the latest Miocene-Recent Benguela Upwelling System. Marine Micropaleontology 60: 269-94.
Lazarus, D., B., H. Hilbrecht, and C. Spencer-Cervato. 1995. Speciation and phyletic change in Globorotalia truncatulinoides (planktonic Foraminifera). Paleobiology 21 (1): 28-51.
Lazarus, D., B., C. Spencer-Cervato, M. Pianka-Biolzi, J. P. Beckmann, K. von Salis, H. Hilbrecht, and H. R. Thierstein. 1995. Revised Chronology of Neogene DSDP Holes From the World Ocean. Vol. 24, Technical Notes. College Station: Ocean Drilling Program. ca 250 p.